The building served as the main guard house and the royal guard house until the end of the monarchy in 1918. In 1930-1 it was altered to become a memorial for the fallen of WW1. It was damaged in WW2, and in the late 1950s was reconstructed as a memorial for the victims of Fascism and Militarism.After the unification, it was transformed again (in 1993) into the central official Federal memorial site for the “victims of war and tyranny”. The center of the chamber is now occupied by the enlarged sculpture “Mother with dead son” by Käthe Kollwitz.
Open daily from 10:00 to 18:00.