Berlin Town Hall, known as Rotes Rathaus (the red Town Hall, because, well, of its color), was constructed from 1861–69, according to plans by Hermann Friedrich Waesemann. In 1879, the exterior was decorated with the “Stony Chronicle” on the first floor (36 plates, each 6m in length), showing scenes from the history of Berlin.
Following its reconstruction (1951-58,) it became the seat of the East Berlin magistrate. The city council of the West used the town hall in the district of Schöneberg. After reunification, the mayor moved back to Berlin Town Hall.
The Rotes Rathaus is located near Alexanderplatz, at the border of Nikolaiviertel, which is a very beautiful reconstruction of the oldest quarter of Berlin. But we’ll get to that later.
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri, 9 to 18 h